Singapore Math: Anchor Tasks & Problem Solving - Professional Development
more than $250
1-Day PD: Anchor Tasks & Problem Solving – Houston, May 23rd
Marshall Cavendish Education, the authentic publisher of Singapore Math® textbooks, in cooperation with the Singapore-based Marshall Cavendish Institute, invites you to attend SINGAPORE MATH®: ANCHOR TASKS & PROBLEM SOLVING. This dynamic, one-day interactive workshop will benefit all K-5 educators–those already using Math in Focus®, Primary Mathematics®, or Math Buddies, as well as newcomers drawn to the Singapore Math® Approach because of its results in high student achievement in math.
Covering three important topics –Anchor Tasks, Teaching of Fractions and Bar Modeling–presenters Hoover Herrera and Chris Coyne will demonstrate how Singapore Math® Anchor Tasks are developed and taught, how Fractions are taught using the Singapore approach and present and solve a series of word problems of varying degree of difficulty using the bar model method. Educators will learn proven and practical strategies that will boost student confidence, engage pupils, and impart life-long, real-world problem-solving skills.
When: May 23, 2016. From 8:00 am to 3:30 pm (CT)
Where: Hilton Garden Inn Houston/ Willowbrook, 7979 Willow Chase BlvdHouston, TX 77070
Coffee & Lunch Included!
KEY BENEFITS OF ATTENDING:
- See the pedagogy of Singapore Math® in action.
- Learn how to plan and teach an Anchor Task.
- Understand the operations of fractions and how to problem solve using bar modeling.
- Understand how bar modeling supports the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach.
- Engage in hands-on activities and learn how to transfer them to your classroom.
WHAT THE DAY WILL BRING:
- Anchor Tasks: How to teach mathematics through Anchor Tasks.
- Understanding Fractions: Creating activities to support conceptual learning of operations.
- Bar Modeling: How bar models simplify problem-solving in mathematics.
- Hands-on group activities using manipulatives.
- Peer discussion opportunities including sharing of best practices.
Click the events page link to view the program schedule, speakers and REGISTER!