Singapore Math: Anchor Tasks & Problem Solving - Professional Development
more than $250
Singapore Math: Anchor Tasks & Problem Solving
Marshall Cavendish Education, the authentic publisher of Singapore Math® textbooks, in cooperation with the Singapore-based Marshall Cavendish Institute, invites you to attend SINGAPORE MATH®: ANCHOR TASKS & PROBLEM SOLVING. This dynamic, one-day interactive workshop will benefit all K-5 educators–those already using Math in Focus®, Primary Mathematics®, or Math Buddies, as well as newcomers drawn to the Singapore Math® Approach because of its results in high student achievement in math.
Covering three important topics –Anchor Tasks, Teaching of Fractions and Bar Modeling–presenters Hoover Herrera and Chris Coyne will demonstrate how Singapore Math® Anchor Tasks are developed and taught, how Fractions are taught using the Singapore approach and present and solve a series of word problems of varying degree of difficulty using the bar model method. Educators will learn proven and practical strategies that will boost student confidence, engage pupils, and impart life-long, real-world problem-solving skills.
When: May 25, 2016. From 8:00 am to 3:30 pm (CT)
Where: Hilton Garden Inn, 2325 North Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75207
Investment: US $259
Coffee and Lunch Included.
KEY BENEFITS OF ATTENDING:
- See the pedagogy of Singapore Math® in action.
- Learn how to plan and teach an Anchor Task.
- Understand the operations of fractions and how to problem solve using bar modeling.
- Understand how bar modeling supports the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach.
- Engage in hands-on activities and learn how to transfer them to your classroom.
WHAT THE DAY WILL BRING:
- Anchor Tasks: How to teach mathematics through Anchor Tasks.
- Understanding Fractions: Creating activities to support conceptual learning of operations.
- Bar Modeling: How bar models simplify problem-solving in mathematics.
- Hands-on group activities using manipulatives.
- Peer discussion opportunities including sharing of best practices.
View our events page to see the program schedule, speakers, and REGISTER!