Market Development Specialist
Cengage Learning - San Francisco, CA - Full time
Market Development Specialists work closely with Product Managers and Marketing Managers to develop the vision for key products as well as strategize and execute on effective market seeding and development activities for strategic product launches. Reporting to the Senior Director, Market Development Specialist, the Market Development Specialist partners with Product Managers early in the product development and conceptualization process, and then leads strategic planning for market seeding and in-depth market development before market release. In addition, the MDS creates and works in tight collaboratoin with Marketing and Sales partners to execute on these plans and deliver successful product launches. They successfully execute innovative and aggressive market seeding & development plans based on a firm understanding of market conditions, product vision, and strategic customer development.
- Develops and executes effective market seeding and market development plans for key product launches, plans that will lead to successful product launch and generate almost-closed leads to sales and marketing.
- Contributes to the overall product vision and contributes to market research efforts.
- Crafts, manages, and executes in-depth market seeding and market development plans pre-product launch.
- Collaborates with Marketing to communicate to sales the unique value proposition and competive advantages and deliver almost-closed leads at the time of product launch.
- Assists with Sales and Marketing with customer presentations and meetings.
- Travels to campus, discipline meetings, sales meetings as needed to close business, gain market understanding, conduct research with the Product team, and contribute to Product launch efforts.
- Leads seeding efforts on key titles to clearly defined market segments through focus groups, reviews, events, and customer contact. Expertise in choosing the optimal participants is a must. Collaboration with Sales and Marketing is essential.
- 2-3+ years relevant product management, marketing, sales, or development experience. Demonstrated success in product launch and market development, preferably with digital products in the learning solutions space.
- BA or BS.
- Experience with competitive analysis, market segmentation, and market research
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Attention to detail.
- Possess the ability to position products within a market with keen understanding of how they will be used: course goals, instructor pain points, student needs, and competitive knowledge.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Requires proficiency w/Microsoft Office (Excel, PPT, and Word). Preferred
- Experience bringing to market digital solutions, which sometimes includes marketing, selling and closing business with beta versions.
- Experience bringing content-based learning solutions to market.
- Experience with agile development processes and recurring release cycles.
1 to 5 years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.